Local SEO is a powerful strategy to help you outrank your competitors on Google and gain visibility in every suburb you service.
In this article, we will discuss the power of local SEO, the importance of dynamic suburb profiles, and various local search ranking factors.
Why Local SEO Matters for Real Estate Agents
Because it’s where most homeowners start their search for an agent when they’re considering selling their property. Period.
Jump onto Google (after reading this article of course) and search for “best real estate agents…”, adding a suburb that you service at the end. Where do you come up? If it’s not on page one, or in the top three businesses shown under the map (a section called “the local pack”), you’re missing out on a tonne of potential revenue. Plain and simple.
Google is the second most important channel to realestate.com.au, accounting for more than 35% of its overall traffic.
So consider this for a moment… if most homeowners start their search on Google, wouldn’t you want to intercept that traffic before it goes to any other site?
What is Local SEO?
Local SEO is the process of optimising your online presence to attract more business from relevant local searches. By focusing on local SEO, you can ensure that your website ranks higher in Google search results for the specific suburbs you serve. This helps potential clients find you more easily and can result in increased leads and sales.
One way to improve your local SEO is by implementing Dynamic Suburb Profiles on your website. These profiles provide dynamic, real-time content that Google’s search engines love. By consistently updating your website with relevant, local information, you signal to Google that your website is a valuable resource for users searching for real estate in your area.
Search engines, particularly Google, love fresh and dynamic content because it shows that a website is actively being maintained and updated with relevant information. This commitment to providing valuable content aligns with Google’s objective of offering the best user experience by presenting up-to-date, accurate, and useful information in its search results.
Localising information for numerous suburbs can be a massive and time-consuming task. Keeping track of the ever-changing data, such as property prices, market trends, local amenities, and demographics, is nearly impossible for real estate agents to manage manually.
Creating pages and website experiences using APIs (technical speak for connecting one platform to another) is a more efficient and effective solution for keeping content updated. APIs enable automatic updates by pulling real-time data from trusted sources such as the Domain API. By using APIs, real estate agents can ensure that their suburb profile pages stay current, which not only improves the user experience but also helps to optimise their SEO performance.
Local SEO gives real estate agents with a physical address a significant advantage over large online platforms like realestate.com.au and domain.com.au. One of the key reasons for this advantage is “proximity” as a local search ranking factor.
Google prioritises businesses that are geographically closer to the searcher, as it aims to provide the most relevant and convenient results for users. Having a physical address in your target area helps improve your visibility in local search results, as it signals to search engines that your business is directly relevant to users in that specific location.
This means that by leveraging local SEO, real estate agents can effectively compete with and even outperform these large platforms in local search results, enabling them to attract more potential clients and establish a stronger presence in their target market.
While proximity is indeed an important factor in local search rankings, relying solely on it is not a sustainable strategy. To truly excel in local SEO and secure top positions in search results, real estate agents must implement a comprehensive approach that encompasses all the suggestions outlined in this article.
Focusing solely on proximity without optimising other aspects of your online presence can leave you vulnerable to competitors who have implemented a more holistic local SEO strategy. By addressing Google Business, Google reviews, local citations, on-page SEO, link building, mobile optimisation, and social media, you can create a more robust online presence that will not only help you rank higher in local search results but also provide a better user experience for potential clients.
Local Search Ranking Factors
Various factors influence your website’s local search rankings, including:
- Google Business: A complete and accurate Google My Business listing is crucial for local SEO. Ensure you have claimed and optimized your listing with up-to-date contact information, photos, and descriptions of your services.
- Google Reviews: Positive online reviews can boost your local SEO and help build trust with potential clients. Encourage satisfied customers to leave reviews on Google and other review platforms, and actively manage your online reputation. Learn more about promoting client reviews and dealing with negative reviews.
- Local Citations: Consistent and accurate listings in local directories and business websites can improve your local SEO. Make sure your business information is correct and consistent across all platforms. Read our guide on Apple Business Connect to learn more about managing your local citations.
- On-Page SEO: Optimise your website’s content, meta tags, and URLs with relevant keywords related to your services and target suburbs. This helps Google understand what your website is about and improves your search visibility. Learn more about real estate SEO and why Google doesn’t think you’re a real estate expert.
- Mobile Optimisation: Ensure your website is mobile-friendly, as Google prioritises mobile-friendly sites in search results. Check out our guide on Google’s Mobile Search Update for more information.
- Social Media: Having a strong social media presence can improve your local SEO. Share valuable content, engage with your audience, and leverage features like Facebook Professional Profiles to expand your reach.
- Proximity: Proximity refers to the physical distance between a searcher’s location and the businesses listed in local search results. Search engines like Google prioritise businesses that are closer to the searcher’s location, as they are more likely to be relevant and convenient for the user. This means that having a physical address in or near the target suburb can give you an advantage in local search rankings.
- Your opening hours: Google has recently confirmed that a business’s operating hours are now a crucial factor in determining its visibility in local search results.
How Real Estate Agents Can Improve Their Local SEO
To improve your local SEO, consider the following strategies:
- Create suburb-specific content for your website, such as suburb guides, market updates, and case studies of successful sales in the area. This will help Google understand that you are an expert in these specific suburbs.
- Use technologies like GPT-4 and ChatGPT to generate content that is relevant, engaging, and optimized for search engines.
- Make your website visually appealing and easy to navigate with a well-designed homepage is an important starting point, but to truly dominate local search results, real estate agents need to take it a step further with dynamic, local content.
Dynamic Suburb Profiles
By creating Dynamic Suburb Profiles for each suburb you service, you are providing Google with real-time, hyper-local content that’s both relevant and useful for your audience. Google loves this kind of content, as it directly responds to users’ search queries and provides them with the most up-to-date information possible.
Local SEO is a powerful strategy for real estate agents looking to dominate search results in the suburbs they service. By incorporating Dynamic Suburb Profiles, optimising your website for local search, and leveraging the latest technology, you can outshine your competitors and capture more leads in your target markets.
For more tips and strategies on improving your real estate business, explore the wealth of resources available on our blog.
Agents & Marketing teams: Scale your digital marketing in 2024!
Digital & AI Marketing Masterclass is a full-day interactive workshop being held in Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, Perth and Brisbane.
Go behind the scenes with Australia’s leading digital marketing strategists in real estate and learn, step-by-step, the digital and AI marketing strategies we use, working with Australia’s top agents. Most real estate training events might have one or two sessions on digital marketing and AI that only scratch the surface on the “why”. But this full-day workshop is dedicated 100% to the “how”.
You’ll receive actionable digital and AI marketing strategies that you can implement in your office straight away, to grow your business and inspire your audience across every digital channel. You’ll get a detailed and proven system used by Australia’s leading agents and brands that consistently generates predictable results. And the best part? There’s no sales pitch at the end.
Click here to see for yourself below why over 1,000 agents attend our training events every year (and why many return with their teams!) to dominate their competitors online.